Wildlife Capricorn is a community organisation committed to an ecologically sustainable future for people and wildlife. Wildlife Capricorn is the Capricorn Branch Inc. of the Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland (WPSQ).
Wildlife Capricorn has been active in the Capricorn Region since 1984.
We are dedicated to protecting, appreciating and preserving our native wildife, which are under threat from the activities of humans and in competition with introduced feral species.
Wildlife Capricorn is currently active in the following areas:
- We organise public events to encourage appreciation of wildlife and the natural environment, for example, talks by experts and field trips.
- We produce displays for public events and provide volunteers to answer questions from interested people.
Public participation in democracy
- We follow up issues that we think are important to our aims through research, letter writing, and submissions.
- We consult and liaise with the Queensland Government Departments, The Livingstone Shire and Rockhampton Regional Councils, the Australian Army, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Central Queensland University, Fitzroy Basin Assoc., Queensland Transport, local primary producers, other environmental and cultural groups, and the media.
Our consultation and liaison work relies on members willing to represent Wildlife Capricorn.
- Our branch is a co-trustee the Duckpond Environmental Reserve, near Rockhampton. Our member Jeff Simmons has taken the lead role in maintaining the reserve for the past 15 years.
- We support tree-plantings, dune restorations, organic gardening, permaculture and landcare projects run by other groups on the Capricorn Coast whose activities fit in with our aims.
- Members can participate in get-togethers and outings statewide with like-minded people.
- Members can become involved in the WPSQ’s state organisation based in Brisbane, which has been established for over 50 years.
|C/-PO Box 727 Yeppoon Qld 4703
|Contact us at Envirolink Office, Community Development Centre, John Street, Yeppoon Tel: 4939 1002 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org